Tupiza is the capital of Potosi's Sud Chichas province.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the biggest mining companies
operating in southern Bolivia (such as the Compañía Aramayo) built
their headquarters in this beautiful town. Around 1906, Butch
Cassidy's gang arrived to Tupiza. After weeks of careful planning, the
gang robbed a minerals trading house and escaped in the direction of San
How to get there:
- From Potosí, unpaved road, Km = 256
- From Tarija, unpaved road, Km = 232
- From Villazón (Bolivia-Argentina border),
unpaved road, Km = 91
- Villazón (Bolivia-Argentina border) - Tupiza
- La Paz - Oruro - Uyuni - Tupiza
There are no scheduled flights to Tupiza. The
nearest landing strip is located in Mochara, about 30Km from Tupiza.
this city, see also the following related sections: